Beware: Spammers Just Want Your Money
Listen to the Audio: Beware: Spammers Just Want Your Money
from: Longevity Explorers | Sequoias SF, SF Village
The S. F. Explorers share their displeasure with unwanted email, messages and phone calls, many of which are scammers looking for gullible people.
Explorer Diana reports that her household has been receiving repeated calls from a purported attorney who is seeking the intended recipient of a 'lost inheritance'. The group readily relates to this type of call, realizing that the scammers are looking to get money from you. They know that robocalls are sent in bursts - thousands at a time - and only need one or two to respond, becoming 'marks'.
Suggestions emerge on how to counter spam calls or emails:
- Check URL on email to either verify the source or delete.
- Beware 'Spoofing' near phone exchanges - to look like a local caller.
- Apple, Microsoft, IRS, Courts (Jury Duty) do not call to send messages.
- Listen for 'boiler room' background chatter and hang up if you hear it.
- Use the 'block call' option on your phone app.
The group laments the increase in spam calls and email and would welcome an easy way to avoid it.
Log in to learn more and to listen to the audio recording.
Interested in what our circles of older adults discuss?
Sign up to get Tech-enhanced Life's email newsletter, which summarizes the discussions from our Longevity Explorer circles each month. See what our explorers care about, are interested in, and are exploring.
Comes monthly. No spam. Unsubscribe at any time.