Points to Consider when Designing Clothing for Elders
from: Longevity Explorers | Adaptive clothing that works: Freedom Wear
Be mindful of limitations in fine motor tasks and range of motion when approaching design of garments for older adults. Even the ergonomics of the closet can be important to making the task of dressing much easier to negotiate.
- Lower the closet bar for ease of access.
- Remove buttons – use velcro closures instead.
- Stain and odor resistant clothing is a good choice.
- Move closures to the front of garments.
- Keep arm holes wide and open.
- A hosiery tool can make the difference in independence in dressing.
- Clothing with sensors appeared in the therapies, but is well adapted to 'Freedom Wear'.
Log in to learn more and to listen to the audio recording.
Interested in what our circles of older adults discuss?
Sign up to get Tech-enhanced Life's email newsletter, which summarizes the discussions from our Longevity Explorer circles each month. See what our explorers care about, are interested in, and are exploring.
Comes monthly. No spam. Unsubscribe at any time.